Saturday, February 2, 2008

Day 3 - Saturday

Change over day. Today everyone who got here last Saturday (or Sunday) is going home. They left the hotel around 10:30 so we hung around until they left so we could say goodbye.

Scott worked on his Science project on my laptop while I worked on the hotel laptop. We were both grateful to get a moment to catch our breath and relax a little. We also got a chance to walk around town a little bit – I went back to my Diet Pepsi person and enjoyed every last drop. All I have been drinking is liters of water and beer…let me clarify – liters of water and a beer or two – NOT liters of beer!

After the 2 vans left we walked down with Liz, Mary and Sally to see the container. It had finally arrived and was being unloaded into a storage unit. It was a Chiquita Banana container that (I think) was donated. I’ll have to check with Norm on that one. By this time it was really getting hot so Scott, Liz and I decided to head to Telemar for the afternoon.

It took us about 15 minutes to walk there and it was well worth it! We had to wait in line behind a car waiting to pay to enter the grounds. It was 150 Lempiras per adult and 100 per child – they gave us a blue armband and a coupon worth the same amount to use at their restaurants for food or drinks. We headed straight for the beach. It was huge compared to the one by our hotel. We rented chairs – YES! So comfortable. Scott went in for a dip while Liz and I just relaxed – it felt soo good!

Lunch on the beach – a hamburger (I haven’t eaten one since I saw Fast Food Nation) which was made Euro-style with breadcrumbs – it tasted delicious!

Then Scott decided he wanted to ride at ATV on the beach. They were renting them - but the deal was that HE had to negotiate the deal! So he walked over and started the gesticulation of negotiation.

Then he walked back over to me - unsure if he had indeed negotiated the correct deal. I gave him some money - 100 lemps (abt $5) and he went back over.

I could see him kneel down - flatten the sand with his right hand - making a flat place to write in the sand. And that was his negotiation:
15 min
100 Lemps

Done. Deal. He got on the small ATV, had a mini lesson and off he went. And just as he started his back on forth on this ATV, another child came cruising by on another ATV - it was the biggest thing I had ever seen - huge pumped up wheels and the child atop this beastly machine was probably half of Scott's size.

I wish I had been able to pull out my camera in time - because the image of Scott on the smaller ATV and this small child on the HUGE ATV made me laugh so hard tears were streaming down my face.....

No comments: